Frequently Asked Questions
Who may view documents on CMECF?
Subject to court orders in individual cases, policy, or other individual court limitations, the public may view dockets and documents in CM/ECF systems through the Public Access to Court Electronic Records (PACER) program. Logins are available to the public at the PACER registration page. As directed by Congress, the judiciary's electronic public access program is funded entirely through user fees set by the Judicial Conference of the United States. Information is currently available at a rate of ten cents ($.10) per page, with a maximum cost per document calculated to be the equivalent of a 30-page document ($3.00). Transcripts of court proceedings and docket sheets are not subject to the fee limit. Copies of court opinions, as designated by the authoring judge, are available at no charge.
How do I determine the proper division jurisdiction for my case?
The divisions of court and corresponding counties and codes established to identify divisional venue are as follows:
Aberdeen ( Alcorn, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Clay, Itawamba, Lee, Lowndes, Monroe, Oktibbeha, Prentiss, Tishomingo, Webster and Winston)
Oxford (Benton, Calhoun, DeSoto, Lafayette, Marshall, Panola, Pontotoc, Quitman, Tallahatchie, Tate, Tippah, Tunica, Union, and Yalobusha)
Greenville (Attala, Bolivar, Carroll, Coahoma, Grenada, Humphreys, Leflore, Montgomery, Sunflower, and Washington)
What hardware and software are needed to file documents in CMECF?
Filers will need the following hardware and software to file documents in the CM/ECF electronic filing system:
A personal computer running a standard platform such as Windows or Mac OS X.
A PDF-compatible word processor like Macintosh or Windows-based versions of Corel WordPerfect or Microsoft Word.
Firefox 3.5, 4, or Internet Explorer 8. (If using a Macintosh computer, please download and install Firefox, as Safari is not a supported browser)
Software to convert documents from word processor format to portable document format (PDF). Corel WordPerfect and Microsoft Word can convert documents to PDF, or an additional product such as Adobe Acrobat can be used.
Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is available for free, is needed for viewing PDF documents. Adobe Acrobat 8 or better is recommended for filling out electronic forms available from our website.
A scanner may be necessary to create PDF images of documents that you wish to file using CMECF.
How do I update my contact information in ECF?
Changing your phone number
- Login to ECF using your electronic filing login and password.
- Select Utilities, Maintain Your Account
- Highlight the old phone number in the Phone field, and type in the new one.
- Choose Submit to save.
- Choose Submit again to update your cases.
How to change the primary e-mail address or add additional e-mail addresses
- Login to ECF using your electronic filing login and password.
- Choose the Utilities Menu, and then Maintain Your E-mail from the Your Account menu.
- Click on the primary e-mail address, then make change in the right pane. Click Return to Person Information Screen and Submit to save.
- For new additional e-mail addresses, choose "Add New E-mail Address" from the left pane.
- Type in the e-mail address in the right pane.
- Under Configuration Options, select Yes under "Should this e-mail address receive notice for all cases in which this individual is a participant "so the additional e-mail address will receive notice in all the attorney's cases.
- If you want the additional e-mail to receive notice only in certain cases, select No under "Should this e-mail address receive notice for all cases in which this individual is a participant?"
- Add the specific case number where you see "Add additional cases for noticing" under Case Specific Options. Delete any cases on the list you do not want for that additional e-mail address.
- Click "Submit all Changes" in the left pane.
- Click Submit again to update your cases.
How to change or delete an additional e-mail address
- Login in ECF with your electronic filing login and password.
- Choose the Utilities Menu, and then Maintain Your E-mail.
- Highlight the additional e-mail address.
- To delete it, press the Delete key.
- To change the e-mail address, start typing it in
- Click Submit All Changes, then click Submit to update your cases.
Changing your physical or firm address:
- Please file a notice of change of address and email email@example.com
I am having issues wih popup blockers. What do I do?
In order to pay filing fees associated with pleadings filed in the Electronic Filing System, popup blockers must be temporarily disabled. If you have a popup blocker running, the following payment issues may occur:
- You filed a pleading that required a fee, but never received a popup window showing the amount due.
- You filed a pleading that required a fee and received a blank popup window after viewing the Notice of Electronic Filing.
- You attempted to pay your fees by clicking Utilities>Internet Payments Due, but received a blank screen that showed “done” in the lower left hand corner of the browser. Listed below are instructions for disabling the most common pop-up blocking programs.
To temporarily bypass the Popup Blocker
- Google Toolbar - Hold down the Ctrl key and then click on the “Internet Payments Due” link under Utilities.
- Yahoo Toolbar - Hold down the Ctrl key and then click on the “Internet Payments Due” link under Utilities.
- Windows XP (Internet Explorer) – Hold down the Ctrl key and then click on the “Internet Payments Due” link under Utilities.
Turn off Popup Blocker
- Google Toolbar - Click on the Google button>Options and uncheck Popup Blocker under accessories.
- Yahoo Toolbar - Click on the popup blocker button on the toolbar and uncheck Enable Popup Blocker.
- Windows XP - Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools>Popup Blocker>Turn off Popup Blocker.
Add certain web sites in the allow popup list
- Yahoo Toolbar - Click on the popup blocker button and select “always allow popups from…”
- Windows XP - Open Internet Explorer and click on Tools>Popup Blocker>Popup
- Blocker Settings. You may also click on the Popup Blocked message displayed near the top of the page and select “Always allow Popups from this site”
- Google Toolbar – Click on the popup blocker button. This will add the current web site to the allow popup list.
How do I log in to CMECF?
You can access CM/ECF through the District Court website, or by going to ecf.msnd.uscourts.gov. Click on the "Document Filing System" link and then enter your Northern District of Mississippi specific CM/ECF login and password. Practice Tip: When filing, the client code box should be left blank.
How do I redact text within a PDF document?
Please click here for more instructions.
How do I clear my Internet Browser?
Firefox: (Tools > Clear Recent History > Everything)Internet Exporer 7 and Above: (Tools > Delete Browsing History> Make sure Temporary Internet files)Opera: (Menu > Settings > Delete Private Data)Safari: ( Safari menu > Empty Cache > Empty)
I am having trouble with the Case Management Order Form, what do I need to do?
Read THIS information.
How do I submit items to the Judges Chambers?
Check HERE to find contact information for our Judge's Chambers