You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What is a Petit Jury?

    A Petit jury is a trial jury for both civil and criminal cases. The Petit jury listens to the evidence offered during a trial, and returns a verdict. A verdict in a civil case may be a finding for the plaintiff or the defendant. A verdict in a criminal case finds the defendant involved guilty or not guilty.

  • How much does it cost to file a Civil Action?

    Please see the Fee Schedule for this information.

  • What is a Grand Jury?

    A Grand jury does not determine guilt or innocence, but whether there is probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed. The evidence is normally presented only by an attorney for the government. The grand jury must determine from this evidence whether a person should have formal charges filed by the government. If the grand jury finds probable cause, then it will return a written statement of the charges, called an indictment. Grand jurors sit on a panel of 16 to 23 jurors and generally serve one to three days every other month for one year. Grand jury terms may be extended if necessary. For more information, see our Introduction for Grand Jury Service guide.

  • How Much Will I Be Paid for Serving on a Jury?

    The U.S. District Court will pay you an attendance fee of $40.00 per day (unless you are a federal government employee), plus travel expenses for mileage per mile round trip from your home. Jurors who earn in excess of $600.00 in attendance fees in one calendar year will receive a form 1099. *Mileage rate and subsistence are based on the current governmental Per Diem allowance.

  • Is CMECF currently available?

    Yes.  The CMECF system for bankruptcy courts began implementation nationally in early 2001. The district court CMECF system began to roll out nationally in May 2002. Implementation of the CMECF system for appellate courts began in 2005. Over 41 million cases and 500 million documents are on CMECF systems and more than 700,000 attorneys across the country are filing documents electronically.

  • How do I save my "One Free Look" ?

    As you know, active CM/ECF participants receive an e-mail notification of all activity in each of their cases. The e-mail notification contains the "one free look" document promised as part of the CM/ECF program. Active CM/ECF participants are currently receiving those e-mails, and viewing those documents. It is advantageous for the recipient to save that document for viewing later without incurring the eight cents per page charge. These instructions will begin at the point where you are viewing the e-mail message containing the attached PDF document.


    Important Note:

    To be able to save the PDF document as described below, make sure that the Adobe program is opening in your Web browser, not as a separate window.

    1. Click on the link to the document found within the e-mail.
    2. Once the document has opened in Adobe, click the disk symbol to save it to your computer's hard drive or to a portable drive.
  • Can I get a Postponement or be Permanently Excused from Jury Service?

    If you would like to postpone your jury service, you may explain the reasons and the desired serving date on the sheet provided in the summons packet and return with the completed Juror Information form to the Court. If this conflicts with an already scheduled appointment, you may call the Jury department. If you would like to be permanently excused from Jury service, you must send the Jury Department a letter with a full explanation. If you would like to be excused for medical reasons, a letter from your doctor will be helpful. Also, you may request postponement or excusal through E-juror or via email.